Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Point Richmond, Ca

I began walking around the Miller-Knox Regional Park to find a spot to paint. The shoreline views were great....The Richmond bridge to the right and the Ferry Point & Angel island to the left. But the morning was so chilly I decided to find another location to hide from the cold winds. I remembered passing this RED tunnel on my way into the park.
So I set up on the sidewalk and against a chain link fence. It was just enough room to allow pedestrians and bikers to pass. Just when I began applying my first layers of paint....the sun comes out! The winds stop, the sky is clear and the temperature...much warmer.
(gouache on 7" x 10" watercolor board)

History: "Ferry Point Tunnel". It leads to the Miller-Knox Park and into the Brickyard Cove (Marina, Condos, waterfront property). The tunnel was constructed in 1899 and is one of the oldest such structures in California. The mural (2 pelicans and typography) was created by artist: John Wehrle (commissioned by the Point Richmond Neighborhood Council in 1996).

12 comments:

Janice L-H said...

My favorite tunnel entrance! I like the color, detail in the road - fence and traffic signs! How do you get such precision (Ferry Point lettering)?! Please link this to the NB Plein Air site too. I'd like to see how you'd paint the "train station" park(Mechanics Bank) and railroad tracks and signage across the way from this intersection!

Josh Frost said...

You know your going to have to take me to all the locations you paint on my next visit! Haha Looks great dide!

- Josh

Amy C said...

what a beautiful piece, I love the red and how you painted the lights inside the tunnel.
I am glad the weather turned out beautifully too!

craig said...

oh man! these paintings are great Gerald. I'm really diggin the lighting on the road and where light catches the rock on the left side.

Betker said...

Hi Gerald! Wonderful paintings! Love the red tunnel entrance too. Too bad you sold one out from under the eyes of your blog public! :)
Thanks for your kind remarks on my blog, I have been travelling and studiohunting and not keeping up well with our blogworld!
You are clearly familiar with Seattle, where do you crave to paint when you visit?

Le Tang said...

Briliant colors my friend!

And you fell victim to it like so many before you. Those images from the Clone Wars Art of Book are by Thang Le (he's a concept guy here. I'm Le Tang... I'm a story artist. Weird I know. We even worked at the same studio together before coming to Clone Wars. True story.

Sergio Lopez said...

Looks great dude! Nice angle too. No wonder you painted it...

monkeyfeather said...

Nice light.

yoon see said...

Thanks for your lovely comment brother Gerald.
Thanks, I always love to see more outdoor paintings by a talented artist like you.
Haven't been to many places, I try to find time travelling to my neighbourhood for some picture shots.
The tunnel entrance is such a beauty.
I am glad that you have picked it for your painting title.
Thanks, thumb up praise from YOon See.

Paul Tuller said...

I agree, i love the receding line of lights! Another awesome painting !!

enb said...

Go Gerald- all your productivity in this past year and more is really showing! Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

nice depth in the trees

Gerald's Sketch Cards

Click HERE! Related Posts with Thumbnails