Monday, April 29, 2013

Progress Shots: TENTACLES! Group Art Show @ Ltd. Art Gallery, Seattle WA, This Saturday, May 4th, 7:00PM

Thought I'd share a few progress shots while creating my submission for the "TENTACLES" Art Show. Just the show title alone, gave me over a dozen ideas! Did I want to create something comic book related? Something Sci-Fi themed?

After multiple thumbnail ideas I decided on something that best fit the show. I spent a good 3 years attending the Art Institute of Seattle. During my stay I purchased a yearly pass to the Seattle Aquarium. I love aquariums in general and could spend hours staring at all the underwater life. As a matter of fact, I made it a habit to go to the Seattle Aquarium to practice sketching all types of fish, octopus, and sea otters. One day I lost track of time....the security guard did his final rounds and told me they've been closed for the past hour! I didn't even realize I was the only one left sitting there?! LOL.

So for the show I decided to created a miniature painting measuring 3.5" x 3.5" and limited my design within a boxy dimension.  As for the subject..... you guessed it......an octopus!  



After inking, I started laying down the first layer of watercolors.

 Next I worked on filling in the octopus tones and textures.
At this point I'm using a mixture of watercolors, inks, 
markers and colored pencils.

 Adding the final touches.

 Not quite done.... Decided to incorporate a 3D effect!

 Here's the final painting before adding a frame.

Thanks for stopping by! 

Next post will feature the framed painting before I send it out :)


No comments:

Gerald's Sketch Cards

Click HERE! Related Posts with Thumbnails