Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sneak Peek - Bird's Nest Painting


So last summer my mom sent me weekly photos of her new found neighbors. And looking at the photos closely... there were strands of purple, yellow and beige all over the nest.

But when I visited in person.... and looked closely... I could see a lot of warm colors like reds and oranges! The eggs were bright blue and the nest had such a mixture of straw, branches, hair, etc.


Of all the photos my mom took...this was the one I referenced for the eggs. The photo looks very flat... So I had to really keep pushing the center of the nest downwards to help showcase the eggs. Like most paintings this caused a lot of going back and forth with the layers. But it turns out that the wispy brush stokes really created this movement... this energy... in the painting!

(Below) I also wanted to incorporate those green leaves that are blurred in the photo.... but I didn't  want it to take away from the main focus of the painting... So you'll see splashes of green at the top left and right of the painting.


I really didn't know if this would work? Or if it would ruin a good thing? But in the end... it was a really fun painting to work on!

No comments:

Gerald's Sketch Cards

Click HERE! Related Posts with Thumbnails